Saturday, February 21, 2009

Deciding to do something about the toenail fungus

I have had a fungal infection on my pinky toenail for about three years now. At this point I am sick of worrying about the ugly mutant toenail on my foot and have decided that, one way or another, I'm going to do something about it.

About two years ago I went to the dermatologist and he recommended oral Lamisil (terbinafine). At that time treatment cost about USD $300/month to follow the recommended dosage schedule. That cost of treatment was out of the question for me, so he was very nice and gave me several boxes of oral Lamisil samples from his drawer and recommended a pulsed dosage schedule. I think the schedule he gave me was to go on treatment for 1 week, off for 3 weeks. I followed that for 6 months or so until the samples ran out. At that time I had two infected toenails. The pulsed treatment cured one of them, but my pinky nail was still infected. I have basically ignored it ever since. But, it is getting uglier and less healthy looking every month and I think something needs to be done.

I am sure that the pictures posted here will be kind of grody to the general reader. But I hope that they might be helpful to someone dealing with the same problem.







You can see how the nail has come right off of the nailbed--it's not even really attached anymore.





I did a little research on the pulsed Lamisil treatment and it looks like it is a little less effective than the continuous treatment. But what is also striking is how ineffective even the continuous treatment is. The percentage of patients that had a complete cure of their toenail (meaning the nail looks normal AND no fungus shows up in laboratory test of the new nail) according to this study was 26% for continuous treatment and 20% for pulsed treatment. According to another study the percentages were 41% for continuous and 28% for pulsed. I'm sure there are more studies out there and a lot more research you could do. But this seems like a very iffy treatment to spend a lot of money on. Especially when you consider that you have to have lab tests done on your liver to take oral Lamisil--extra time, expense, hassle, and risk. And what is depressing is that I believe oral Lamisil is reported by the medical community to be pretty much the most effective treatment that is available for fungal nail infections.

But, I was fed up with this nail and I decided to go back to the dermatologist and at least talk to him about it. For insurance reasons I needed to go to another doctor to get a referral to go back to the dermatologist. This other doctor wanted me to try Australian tea tree oil before he would give me the referral. He said to paint it on the nail every day and it would cause my nail to flake off and after several months might lead to a cure. At this point I thought I was kind of perturbed and thought my doctor was a total quack being paid by my insurance company to turn me on to weird natural remedies instead of receiving treatment from an actual dermatologist that would bill the insurance. This may or may not be true but nevertheless I did at least look up tea tree oil and do a little research on it. I found this study that says that it is probably not that effective, but maybe warrants further investigation. I also found this study that combined tea tree oil when combined with another antifungal (butenafine HCl). This mix together in a cream softened the nail up until it was completely removed (debrided) with clippers. This was reported to be 80% effective in curing onychomycosis (toenail fungus). But, after reading the paper it wasn't clear exactly what they defined as a "cure." I don't think it was necessarily the same measure as the "complete cure" discribed above.

Anyway, since the oral treatment is such a hassle and so expensive, I'm going to give it my best go at topical treatment for the next 9 months or so. I'm guessing that, even though the tea tree oil is reported to have some antifungal properties, if it is effective at all, it is probably mostly in the context of helping to soften and remove the infected nail to be able to get at the fungus underneath. Ive decided to try to combine a topical antifungal treatment with a regular trimming and filing down of the nail and also try this tea tree oil stuff.

In looking for the best topical antifungal I came up with these guidelines published by the British government that suggest that amorolfine might be among the most effective topical treatments. It is available over the counter in Great Britain under the trade name Curanail as a nail lacquer that only needs to be applied once a week, which seems convenient. You apply the lacquer and the drug soaks into the nail over the next week until your next treatment.





I ordered some along with some Australian tea tree oil. The first step that I took in starting treatment was to remove most of the infected nail. It was basically coming off anyway, so this was just a matter of trimming it off with nail clippers .





Next, the Curanail comes with a book of disposable files, kind of like a book of matches. I filed the nail down as far as I could. It's strange, I didn't feel any pain in removing the nail or filing down the nub. This nail is really far gone.







I then cleaned it up with a wipe, also provided. Then, I applied the lacquer over the nail. Well, really just over the skin where the nail should be and over the nub sticking out of the nailbed.







My plan is to apply the Curanail on Saturdays, let it soak in for 4 days, then apply the tea tree oil Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday before soaking it, filing it, and reapplying the lacquer the next Saturday. I'll repeat this every week and post pics of the progress as time goes on.

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I heard that if pass wind then stand on your head for 47 seconds, then recite the words of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" it will cure it forever.
      Herbs of Kedem

      Sephorris Reviews

      Delete
  2. Fungal infections affect the appearance of the toenails, making them unsightly. Typically, you will first notice the infection because of nail discoloration. You may develop green or yellow nails, or nails that turn an even darker color.
    yellow toenails

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I know it's been a while, but can we ha email an update? I haven't found the eight products but I would love to know how this one works and if it worked for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful if you try laser as the statistics are fixed, in my opinion. For example, they don't count pinkie toe nails. If you have fungal infections on three toenails (two pinkie toes and one other), and the two pinkie toenails don't respond to the treatment, they are exculded and the results are logged in at 100%. So when you are told something like "laser is 82% successful," be sure to find out exactly what is meant by "successful."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. I hope you've managed to cure your infected nail. I've had one on my small toenail for around ten years. It looks similar to yours and has spread to two other nails. I'm taking Terbinafine for it daily but haven't noticed any improvement yet... Plus Terbinafine is harsh on the body. Shame we can't just have the infected nails pulled off and then left to regrow without the infection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toenails that have grown thicker over time likely indicate a fungal infection, also known as onychomycosis. Left untreated, toenail fungus treatment can become painful. Prompt treatment is key to curing the nail fungus.


    ReplyDelete
  7. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid  with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. My Husband gave it a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua  and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situation.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflammatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Diabetes,Herpes Virus,Diabetis,Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma. Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer. Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancerBipolar Disorder, Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,HPV,Breast Cancer,Anal cancer.Appendix cancer.,Kidney Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer.Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,OsteoporosisAlzheimer's disease,Brain cancer.Dementia.Weak Erection,Love Spell,Leukemia,Fribroid,Infertility,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia.

    ReplyDelete