Saturday, April 18, 2009

Update

So, I have been going along more or less faithfully with the treatment as I described it for the last couple months. Every week I file the nail, apply the Curanail, give it two or three of days to soak in, then apply tea tree oil every morning for the rest of the week. I was originally worried that the tea tree oil would irritate my skin but it doesn't at all. I doesn't seem like it's making my toenail "flake off" like my doctor suggested. Of course I'm filing it every week so that might be kind of hard to see.



About 3 weeks ago, though. I started to notice a patch growing on the toenail with the characteristic, yellow, fungal look to it. It is nice that the Curanail package comes with it's little book of toenail files, but frankly I don't think they work very well at removing the old nail. As I tried to remove this little infected patch I scraped up the skin surrounding the nail and didn't even do a very good job. I decided to use my dremel, which may sound crazy. But, I got a set of precision rotary files and I use it on low speed...and it works great. I mean it's really great at removing old toenail carefully, thoroughly, and precisely. You don't want to press down too hard or hold it in one place too long or it will build up heat. But if you go slowly and gently, it works really well.


Below the toenail has been pretty much filed down all the way down and was very cleanly removed. I didn't have any bleeding or pain, but I used the dremel on a medium-low speed (speed 4 on the dremel xpr400) and I was very slow and cautious. Also, remember, my nail was so far gone that I had no feeling or bleeding in it before if I just took clippers and chomped off the whole nail. You may have to be more careful with a nail that's not surrounded with so much dead tissue from being infected for years.


And you can see below that after the toenail is completely filed down and the lacquer is applied, it looks pretty normal. I wear flip flops and don't even think about it, whereas the nasty yellow nail that was there before was a little unsightly. So even if all this nonsense doesn't cure the fungus, during treatment the toe is at least cosmetically pretty normal-looking.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that looks great!
    My toe is disgusting. Pretty much what you described, but the nail has been gone for a looong time and now it's just the fungus stacked on really high. I have to scrape it off to keep it from going out of control.
    I found your blog while doing research, and I finally decided to go see a podiatrist about it.
    I know it's been a long time since you last posted but I hope you've been having luck with it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soopergirl, I'm curious what your podiatrist did/said? I've been wondering about the possibility of having my nail removed and then treating it topically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! its already look good..this won't be a hard time, you can do it at home..but i think it really hurts a lot..

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did it go, did your nail get better?


    Curious

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strangely enough, I too decided to use my Dremel instead of the individual emery boards that come in the Loceryl pack. My motivation was twofold : (1) to do a better job than I can with an emery board, and (2) to eliminate the tedium of emery-boarding, which is a severe disincentive to regular applications of Loceryl. But unlike you, I use no precision tool for this : instead, I use a standard Dremel former with emery paper cyclinder and it works like a dream. I also use the tool at full speed. Yes, you do have to be careful not to allow things to get hot, but with a little care you can do ten nails in two minutes, which is a darn sight faster than can be achieved with the emery boards and a great incentive to regular Loceryling. Dremel, this could be the start of a whole new advertising campaign for you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few people taking the dremmel approach. Seems extreme but I guess if it works to get rid of bad nail, so what. How are you getting on - have you beaten it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's the conclusion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm about to join the dremmel revolution... been toying with the idea for a while... but after trying everything going in boots and even involving my doc in this 5 year project and no further forward what have I got to lose? Other than my big toe even then job done ah!... joking apart I have got Parkinson's so could be a bit scary... no offers from family or friends of help... so slowly as she goes is going to be the order of the day... after reading the positive comments on this blog has spured me on and to as they say dip my toe in the dremmel way... keep everybody posted

    ReplyDelete
  9. My bestie had toenail fungus that she fought for a long time. Her nail didn't get as involved as the OPs, but it was unsightly. She found the best treatment for her was to simply put vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the toe every morning. Much cheaper than any of the available medicines, and after a few weeks she could see real progress. After about 6 months of treatment the fungus was essentially gone. She continued treating with vinegar for a bit over a year, to make sure the nail had grown out enough to cut off any part that had been effected.

    ReplyDelete